Our long term goal remains constant: field a band of 150 cadets. This will require
recruiting at least fifty new freshmen each and every year. To accomplish this we have
found over the years that scholarships are the key to success. We need to step up and
fund the Emerging Leader Scholarship (ELS) for every qualifying bandsman, and we
must provide every entering freshman cadet assigned to the Regimental Band a $1,000
stipend. Our endowed accounts are growing but we have a long way to go. There are
several accounts beyond the Highty-Tighties Annual Giving Fund that the
Board of Directors urges you to continue to support. They are:
- The Jim Schaeffer Memorial Endowment (883821) to fund the freshman stipend that is critical
to annual enrollment. This stipend goes only to freshmen entering the Highty-Tighties.
This account also funds the Jim Schaeffer Memorial Scholarship presented to the outstanding sophomore every year at homecoming.
- The Tom Dobyns Memorial Scholarship Fund (883926) is an Emerging Leader Scholarship.
ELS is the number one recruiting tool across the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets.
- The Charles O. Cornelison Scholarship (885617) also funds the ELS.
- The Wallace Easter Scholarship (860246) provides an ELS for a Highty-Tighty. This scholarship
is not yet endowed and needs additional contributions to reach that goal.
- To honor Matthew J. La Porte (860068) Highty-Tighty Class of 2009, who was killed in the
tragedy of April 16, 2007, an endowed memorial scholarship fund in his name has been
authorized by his parents, and this fund will be used for Emerging Leader Scholarships
awarded to members of the Highty-Tighties.
Three Ways to Give
• Send a check: Make checks payable to the Virginia Tech Foundation with the
notation to specify which of the above accounts to apply your contribution to. Mail to:
Virginia Tech University Development (0336)
902 Prices Fork Road Blacksburg, VA 24061
ATTN: Gift Accounting
• Give On-Line: You may also contribute to these funds on line by going to http://givingto.vt.edu Once you are there, just click on the "Give Now" link (upper right). Under "Select an area" click Corps of Cadets, then either Highty-Tighties Annual Giving Fund or Other. Other allows you to direct your gift to the fund of your choice.
• Call to use your Credit Card: Please call 800-533-1144 or 540-231-2892
Thank you for your support.